Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Oh, Geez.... Here Comes the Over-Achiever!

Yep, I've heard it before. Over-achiever. Suck-up. Smarty pants. Anal retentive (hate that one). Perfectionist. *sigh* I've been called these things so many times, I don't even care anymore. Besides, are these traits really so bad? Eh...don't answer that.

So, I have read and researched and printed my little heart out in my search for the perfect "curriculum" for my classroom. Sounds noble, right? It is stressful!!!! So many ideas, great stuff. But then I stop and think... TAKS. I know I'm supposed to slave away at teaching test strategies, force-feeding practice tests to my poor little kiddos... That is, after all, the way teaching works these days, right? Not in my world! I know I should be good and obedient, but I just can't! I have to break the code, break the rules, be a little different.

The ability to fill in bubbles on a dreadful test is a skill that I'm convinced won't get my students very far. Being able to research sides and perform a debate over a meaningful topic? Yes. Being able to read a quality piece of literature and discuss the elements with a reading group? Yes. And there is so much more, like meaningful writing projects, keeping writing journals, understanding news articles, doing research projects based on current and past events, ect. I could go on and on.

Where is the time for real learning?

I don't know the answer to that, but I'm darn sure going to try and find it. I'm determined that my students will have a monthly debate, will participate in literature circles, will develop an understanding and appreciation of some of the best children's literature the library has to offer, will will research and participate in various speeches, will learn to use technology such as PowerPoints and Web Quests, will help me develop and participate in a classroom economy complete with bills and taxes, and will leave my room as better people, not just as individuals who passed a standardized test.

Yeah, yeah, laugh all you want. Those of you who know me know that I am serious as a heart attack. Teachers have done this! Those are, of course, the best teachers in the country. Rafe Esquith, Ron Clark, and my teaching hero, Beth Newingham, of name a few that are known in the teaching community. It isn't impossible. Don't tell me that it is! And if I happen to fall on my face, just read my whining and crying later and then laugh. :)

No comments: